I received this email from Melissa today and wanted to share:
Good morning,
As I said in my email earlier this morning, yesterday was a VERY long day. Counting from the time you dropped me off at the airport the travel time was 24 hours. We landed in Sao Paulo at 6:45 a.m. and waited in line at customs for 2 hours. They are still a little worried about swine flu here. One man was pulled out of line for complaining of an itchy throat. We did our best not to sneeze, cough, or generally look tired. When of course we were exhausted! The airplane was VERY nice and the largest I have ever seen. There were 3 rows (3 seats, 4 seats, 3 seats). The flight staff did not speak much English although the man next to me did. He was very kind and helped me through the flight, including how to plug in my headset (which is different). This began my exposure and increasing comfort level with being kissed.
We arrived in Sao Paulo and were picked up by a tour guide who took us to the hotel. Of course when we got to the hotel it was too early to check in and the rooms were not ready. This was a sad disappointment since all we wanted was a shower and a nap. Instead the tour bus took us to a neighborhood where they dropped us off for breakfast and to wait for our hotel. We ate outside at some little diner. This neighborhood reminded me of Laguna Beach if they had no money for improvements. Afterwards we walked back to the hotel showered, changed, and got ready for the football game (soccer).
The Brewers games appear boring compared to the energy and excitment of a soccer game. I can't wait to show you the videos, although you HAD to be there. The energy and excitment was amazing. I have no idea what they said but you just got caught up in the dancing and singing. During half time a HUGE crowed came down from the stands and cheered and played music. They were chanting and singing and getting the entire crowed worked up. We later found out this was a protest about high ticket prices - you would have thought it was the half time show.
At the game a Brazilian family took interest in us and asked us about our stay. Their daughter was studying in Arkansas and had just come back home for the summer. They invited us to their home for dinner (11 of us). So they showed us how to take the subway and we went to their home. They had pizzas and the mother made AMAZING coffee. They sang and told stories until 2 in the morning. We learned this was a Christian family who shared their testimonies and invited us to church. They then drove us home (1 hour back to the airport). AMAZING TIME!
So now I have 15 minutes to get ready to go to church. I have to type fast but I want to tell you again how much I love it here. The country is beautiful and the people are so wonderful. They kiss and touch a lot but I am getting use to it. I may cry to go home.
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment