I’m in a study of James right now. The following are some notes that I took after also reading a chapter in John Phillips’ book, Exploring the Epistle of James: An Expository Commentary. I just can’t stop thinking about this, and so I thought I’d share. I’m sorry if it jumps around a bit – they were notes I took as I was reading and reflecting.
The book of James brings balance to the debate between faith and works. In his epistle, James takes an approach less theological and more practical. He is not discussing imputed righteousness through faith. He is discussing the pragmatic application of faith – how Christians should live up to their faith / live out their faith. For instance, if we discern a need somewhere, we should pray about it. However, if we never act upon that need and our prayer, what good is our faith? If we can act, we should act! We must have belief that behaves. If we never act upon our faith, that faith is dead. James notes that even demons believe in God. Thus, it is not enough to simply believe. Demons have a real, true, active belief in God. Yet, it does not save them. On the contrary, ours must be a changing belief that moves us to good works. James warns that faith without works is as empty as death itself.
Chris
Wednesday, June 13, 2012
James 2: 14-26
I’m in a study of James right now. The following are some notes that I took after also reading a chapter in John Phillips’ book, Exploring the Epistle of James: An Expository Commentary. I just can’t stop thinking about this, and so I thought I’d share. I’m sorry if it jumps around a bit – they were notes I took as I was reading and reflecting.
The book of James brings balance to the debate between faith and works. In his epistle, James takes an approach less theological and more practical. He is not discussing imputed righteousness through faith. He is discussing the pragmatic application of faith – how Christians should live up to their faith / live out their faith. For instance, if we discern a need somewhere, we should pray about it. However, if we never act upon that need and our prayer, what good is our faith? If we can act, we should act! We must have belief that behaves. If we never act upon our faith, that faith is dead. James notes that even demons believe in God. Thus, it is not enough to simply believe. Demons have a real, true, active belief in God. Yet, it does not save them. On the contrary, ours must be a changing belief that moves us to good works. James warns that faith without works is as empty as death itself.
Chris
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment