Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Summer Garden Pics

Here's a few pics that we took around the garden this week.


This is an old, rusty pagoda lantern that we put out in the garden each year. Here, it's resting among a bunch of miniature hostas under our Japanese Maple. On a calm night, we'll sometimes light the candle inside. It casts a neat light.


It might be a little hard to see, but the real focus of this pic is the small tile at the top of the trellis on the fence. This tile was a keepsake that we bought in Vermont on our way back from Ben and Ruth's wedding. It always makes me think of Ben and Ruth... we love you guys!





This is our Japanese Maple. Sitting at the corner of the back and side yards, it has a very focal spot in the garden. This is our 3rd year with this one... and I'm amazed it's survived! It originally shaded the fountain in our raised planter... the one we had to tear out to make room for the new garage. It was then transplanted into a temporary planter to weather this last winter... which proved to be a doozie! I was AMAZED when it began leafing out this spring. Then, as if to really tempt fate, when we tore out the temporary planter to make room for the new patio, we had to transplant it yet again into this spot. A heatwave hit 3 days later and I thought it would die for sure (they aren't the most sturdy trees in this area). However, it continues to surprise me!


We've posted pictures of this birdbath before, but I really love this spot in the garden, so thought I'd post another. It's surrounded by Irish Moss, some hostas, a red coral bell, and a white peony (the large plant).

No comments: