I read this in my devotions this morning. I thought that it was a very interesting (and somewhat convicting) take on the times we doubt, or simply refuse to believe, God's promises. The initial verse is taken from Hebrews 3. I believe it can be found in verses 12 through 15.
"Lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief: This is strong language, but we often underestimate the terrible nature of our unbelief. Refusing to believe God is a serious sin because it shows an evil heart and a departing from the living God.
Unbelief is not the inability to understand, but unwillingness to trust ... it is the will, not the intelligence, that is involved (Newell).
One can truly believe God, yet be occasionally troubled by doubts. There is a doubt that wants God's promise but is weak in faith at the moment. However, unbelief isn't weakness of faith; it sets itself in opposition to faith." - "Hebrews", by Guzik
So, there's a difference between doubt and unbelief. However, I suspect that if we aren't careful, the former can soon lead to the latter. Yet, if you think about it, it's strange that we would even doubt. God's promises to his children are fantastic! Further, this isn't just "some guy" promising these things... it's GOD. I mean ... he's the CREATOR of all that is in existence (seen and unseen). Do we really think that he'll just forget about us, change his mind, or (worse yet) that he's incapable of following through?! Such thoughts are laughable!
... anyway, I digress. Sorry ... just some thoughts this morning.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment